Four hour stoppage at Ross Cosmetics
More than 50 factory workers at Ross Cosmetics will undertake a second four-hour stoppage today, after indefinite overtime bans began on Tuesday. The industrial action comes after the company refused to keep standard provisions in their EBA.
Six weeks of negotiations regarding the new EBA have failed to reach a resolution. Workers have now also advised the company that there will be a third four-hour stoppage at the site on Tuesday 8 May 2012. Some workers fear that Union delegates or casual members could be targeted or stood down after their action – but they have agreed to support each other and remain unified in the face of any such threat.
The workers are particularly upset that the company chose to withdraw 13 provisions from the EBA without notifying them or the union.
The National Union of Workers has represented the long serving workers at the Tullamarine site for the past 15 years. Workers were particularly surprised by the company’s decision to try and remove standard union rights and long-held conditions such as top up pay when workers are injured at work.
NUW organiser Julie Morgan said the 58 workers at the site, many who had been with the company for years, were only asking for a continuation of the standard EBA and a 3.5% pay rise to cover the cost of living.
“These workers are very loyal, hard working members of the Ross Cosmetics team yet the company is trying to deny them their basic rights,” Ms Morgan said.
“What we are seeing is a growing and disturbing trend by companies to try and strip out basic workers’ rights in EBA negotiations.
“Workers would be happy with a basic pay rise and the continuation of the provisions that have been in their EBA’s for the past 15 years,” Ms Morgan said.
Ross Cosmetics produces cosmetics, sunscreens and therapeutic goods, which are stocked in supermarkets such as Coles and Woolworths.